Our main job
As a church we're called to do lots of things, but we believe our main task is to increase the Word of God, the gospel, in people’s lives - see Acts 6:7 12:24 19:20 and Colossians 1:5–6. In Matthew 28:19 it's called ‘making disciples’ and in Mark 4:30-32 it's called ‘growing God’s kingdom’, but it's the same task.
This task has two parts: building Christians up in Christian maturity, and encouraging those who are not Christians to put their faith in Jesus.
A way of doing this
To help us do this, we seek to encourage a culture at North Shore in which:
1. Meeting together around God’s Word the Bible, both on Sundays and during the week, is valued; and
2. Inviting people into our lives and into our church is seen as an important pathway to people putting their trust in Jesus.
The kind of church we aim to be
The kind of church we aim to be is one...
- Where people are ‘fed’ spiritually from the Bible
- Where everyone gets looked after
- Where everyone serves
- That’s outwardly focused
- Where relationships are important
- That keeps things simple
We don't always get it right, but this is what we aim at.